Yesterday I decided after running a mile warm-up to incorporate some interval training. I set up my Garmin for interval workouts (which is so cool - love that Garmin) where each of the 6 intervals lasted 8 minutes at 5k pace with a 2 minute recovery walk. Of course, I didn't do this on a track, I did this on a road with rolling hills, making the effort even more difficult. After two intervals I was exhausted, but I kept going. Knowing that I only had about a mile till a recovery allowed me to run faster than I normally would have. This is one of the benefits of interval training, along with improving your form, and reaching your anaerobic threshold which increases your oxygen, number of cells, mitochondria and capillaries surrounding the muscles, and so on.
One thing I didn't count on was my calves cramping up the first 2 intervals during my recovery walk. Of course, this all makes sense in retrospect because I don't officially warm up until mile 3.5 to 4, which is about where I'd be after my 3rd interval. But unfortunately, when one issue is resolved, another one appears, and this time it was my lungs! I couldn't get enough air - anaerobic threshold is reached! The other thing about intervals is it allows your body to reach and hold that threshold for a bit so you're training your body to get to a higher max threshold, and the recoveries help to remove the lactic acid so you're not incredibly sore the next day. It's actually quite an ingenious workout when you know the science behind it all.
In the end, I was able to run 5 intervals...ahhaa...no one to push me except myself. Could I have completed 6 intervals? Yes, I think I could have, but I wanted to stick to my weekly mileage since 2 weeks ago I was rewarded with shin splints for my overage.
It's a weird feeling to like something and hate it at the same time. I know that intervals are good for my training and I feel great when they're done, but while I'm doing them I curse them! Maybe next time I'll decrease my time from 8 minutes to 5 minutes, and try them on a flat track. We'll see if that makes me change my attitude while doing them...I bet it won't. :)

I'm the same way. I grumble on intervals, but feel awesome when theyre over
ReplyDeleteGood job!!! I bet you did those at the battlefield. That's AWESOME :)
ReplyDeleteYup! It's an appropriate name for the workout too, don't you think? From now on, my Intervals will be known as the Battlefield. I won't have to do another battlefield for 2 more days. :)
ReplyDelete