I'm being facetious of course, but stretching does take time and without it, I would surely injure myself as I've managed to do so adequately in the past. I've learned the following stretches help me out before, during and after my run:
- leg swings (from side to side, and front to back)
- quad stretches (holding foot with bent knee - although some say this is not the best method. It works for me though.)
- calf warm up - I call it "tip-toe walking" Start by walking on your heel and end by raising yourself up on the ball of your foot.
- I also stretch my calf - both the upper calf muscle and the lower calf muscle (soleus)
- I always shake out my legs, arms and roll my head from side to side.
After my run, I do a slow jog just .1 miles, then end with basically the same as above along with some light lunges, IT band stretches and piriformis stretches. I'll occasionally roll my foot around in a circle - both clock-wise and counterclockwise. Pointing and flexing the foot helps too.
I've noticed that once something is tight, it's very hard to get it loose again. That's why it's imperative for me to stretch religiously so that my muscles don't have the opportunity to get tight. It's easy to forget a stretch too, and with one slip you can be waiting for the doc in physical therapy.
What do you do to maintain your flexibility? What are your stretching routines?

Hi Kimberly, in answer to your question: the mile repeats were 15sec faster than 5k pace. For me that was 8:20. I warmed up a mile, then ran a mile at 8:20,jog/walk for 60sec then repeat. 3 of those, then mile cool down. This was my first time with the mile repeats so my coach will be tweaking (adding number of repeats and adjusting pace) as we progress. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for your reply! That workout sounds very difficult! Kudos for getting through it! At 5k pace, I'm operating at 85 to 90% of my max threshold. That's really impressive to go another 15 seconds faster for three miles - even with recovery jogs. Wow, I totally feel like a bum now... :)
ReplyDelete