Week six is over and seven is beginning today! Here's a breakdown of last week:
Monday - Heritage Festival 5 Miler - Great race, great time, but for my strenuous efforts, I was rewarded with a recurring hip issue for not stretching properly afterwards.
Tuesday AND Wednesday - Race took its toll and did not run either of these days.
Thursday - First run on some new terrain without the constant hills. The change in a flatter terrain has really helped my tight calves and shin splints. I also noticed while I was driving home I got my "Runner's Salt Facial." You know what I'm talking about - when the sweat dries and all you have left is the crusty salt residue on your skin which tightens up so much you can hardly smile. At least you know you worked out, and it meant that I was in for a salty treat when I got home!
Friday - Another humid, hot 5 miler, but I ran it at a reasonable pace (9:29), so it was as enjoyable as possible.
Saturday - I biked with my hubby downtown for about 13 miles. It was GREAT! I
really enjoy biking. My top speed was just a tad over 21 mph, but I
don't think I held it for more than a couple minutes. :) Not only does
it take the stress off your legs, but you get a great cardio workout
(it's different than running, but very effective, and I like the
variation.)
Sunday - Long Run! We went down on our mileage this week to 10 miles, so next week will be a killer. It was...you know what I'm going to say...hot and humid! Add a bit of sun to that and it was tough, but this was our slow run, so it wasn't too bad.
Monday - So now it's on to week #7. Today I ran 5.34 miles with temps in the mid to high 70s and 84% humidity. And you know what? My average pace was 8:54! Not too shabby, eh? I think I'm getting used to this weather. I was even a little disappointed that my run was over. As I was leaving, a group of kids started to play a game of soccer. Darn! That would have totally kept me entertained for at least another 2 miles around the field! Oh well, I enjoyed the run. And I remember reading some article that said: When you're in training, you should end your run feeling like you could do it again. I guess I was where I needed to be.

I hope your hips are feeling better today! Good job on your run today!! I did a 5k race on the treadmill today :)
ReplyDeleteThanks! I'm going out for a run shortly, so we'll see how the hips do. Awesome on your 5k treadmill race - 1st place too! :)
ReplyDelete