Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pain Always Shows Up For Track

Although I'm still green, I do know after a year of running where my strengths lie, and it's not in speed work. I cringe when I have a track workout. I procrastinate getting ready for one. I even procrastinate at the start line! I'm reading the Duel in the Sun (the great Boston race of 82 with Beardsley and Salazar), and I came across something that Alberto Salazar said in his training that resonates with me when I'm doing track workouts. He said that you can't avoid pain or being uncomfortable when running, you have to embrace it. You have to look for it, be able to handle it when it comes, and to push through it when you feel like stopping. I know this guy, Pain. He's there at races, on hill workouts, tempos, occasional steady state runs, and sometimes even in my long runs. But he never misses a track workout...I can always count on him to be there. In the past I've tried to avoid him by turning my attention to the scenic route or another jogger - anything to remove me from my current uncomfortable state. But I had to find a way to deal with Pain. When he pays a visit, I should greet him with a handshake, like a competitor. In a way, he is a competitor.

So today I set out for my second track workout since my marathon training began in late May. I warmed up a mile, then stood on the inside lane, in the blazing sun and 97% humidity. I had the track all to myself. I pressed the Start button on my Garmin and began to run. With the first 100 yards behind me I felt great. My heart rate was still low, and the breeze on my face was a welcome change to the same stagnant sticky air I felt when I was standing still. I picked it up around the 3rd turn and as I headed for the home stretch I felt his presence creeping up and in an instant, he appeared. Hello Pain! With every repeat it was more difficult to ignore his constant jabs about my legs being too tired, and I how couldn't possibly keep this pace for yet another lap. As I finished my five reps, bent over, gasping for breath, Pain bids adieu. See you next week.

Here are my unimpressive lap times for five 400 meter repeats:

Warm Up Mile - 9:14
Lap 1 - 6:39
Lap 2 - 6:46
Lap 3 - 7:10
Lap 4 - 7:09
Lap 5 - 7:00
Cool Down Mile - 9:29

Based on the Mcmillan calculator, I should be running 400s at a 6:06 pace. I'll have to work on that.

2 comments:

  1. Those are awesome splits!!! I did the same workout and my splits were 7:35. You have no idea how fast you are!!! You should be very proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That's surprising, cause on race day you FLY past me like I'm standing still towards the finish! :) Thanks for letting me know that my times really aren't bad!

    ReplyDelete