Monday, July 18, 2011

You Can Learn A Lot From the Tread On Your Shoes

Ever wonder what you look like when you run? Or how your body mechanics work when you're running? Take a look at the bottom of your shoes and you'll find the answer. I'd forgotten this little trick until I saw my sports therapist the other day. I'd gone in for an injury, but had a few questions for him. One of those questions was why one of my feet tended to slap down more than the other when I ran. He didn't take me outside to watch my stride or form, or ask me a bunch of questions on how I run. Instead he asked me to show him the bottom of my shoes. The evidence lie in the tread - an imprint averaged out over miles and miles of running could be clearly seen. I was over-striding on my left leg! The tread on my left heel was worn down to a nub, while the heel on my right shoe looked almost new. Later on the next day, I studied my shoes a bit more and began to visualize the impact points on the bottoms of my feet, and how my form would look based on those impressions. What an amazing yet simple way to determine how I ran! Next time you are having issues, or just curious about your stride, check out the tread on your running shoes. They just may have the answers you are looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment